- Rio de Janeiro is a Brazilian city, capital of the state of Rio de Janeiro, located in the Southeast region of Brazil.
- Rio de Janeiro climate is characterized as tropical savanna climate, experiencing long periods of heavy precipitation between December and March. The month of March marks the transition from Summer to Autumn, and travelers should expect an average temperature of 30ºC.
- The two main airports are: Galeão International Airport (GIG), located at Ilha do Governador, 20 km from city center; and Santos Dumont Airport (SDU), located downtown. While the former is the point of entry from abroad, the latter connects Rio to most of the other capitals.
- The city has a myriad of options for cultural, leisure, and ecological tours, a a rich gastronomy that covers local options and international cuisine. It is important to note that one of the “Seven Wonders of the Modern World” in located in Rio: Christ the Redeemer.
- The main beaches are located in the South Zone (1-2 km from the Conference Venue): Leblon, Ipanema and Copacabana. There are also options in the West Zone that will call for a 40-50 min drive: Barra da Tijuca and Recreio dos Bandeirantes.
- Lapa neighborhood is the location famous for bohemia embedded around historical buildings, with many bars, restaurants, and concert halls.
- For more information about the city of Rio de Janeiro, with options for accommodation, transport, and tourism, visit the websites Riotur.Rio & Portal Turismo – Rio de Janeiro
[ ! UPDATE !] This link provides an Excel with a list of recommended Hotels (with vouchers and bus service to the conference venue).